BASIC EATING PLAN
Last week I told you that I would give an example of my basic Personal Eating Plan or P.E.P. My plan is designed to help burn fat and keep calories in check. This isn’t a fad “diet” in any way. Think of it more as a way to rethink how you eat. At the end of this article I will show you how best to ease into what may be a new way of eating for some you. But for now, let’s just dive in with some examples of what my week-day P.E.P. looks like.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DRINK?
1) Drink 8-12 ounces of water at the start and end of each day.
2) Drink 6 additional 8-12 ounce glasses of water throughout the day.
3) Avoid or eliminate sugar and caffeinated beverages along with those containing artificial sweeteners.
4) Appropriate drinks include: water, mineral water, herbal tea, green tea, caffeine free, natural, soft drinks, hot or cold water with lemon or lime.
5) If you drink juice do so in small amounts and dilute with extra water.
6) I do not recommend soda pop of any kind but if you must drink them, choose natural sodas that are caffeine free. I make my own “soda pop” by mixing fresh juice 50/50 with flavored, sparkling mineral water.
1) O.J. Smoothie: 1/2 cup Orange juice, 1 Orange (peeled), 3/4 cup water and/or ice, 2-1/2 tbsp Almonds sliced/or 1 tbsp flax oil, 30-40 grams Whey Protein.
2) Blueberries Smoothie: 1-1/2 cups blueberries, 1/2-cup water and/or ice, 30-40 grams Whey protein, 2-1/2 tbsp Almonds sliced/or 1 tbsp flax oil.
3) Eggs and Bacon: 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, 2 Oz Canadian Bacon, I medium Tomato (sliced), 1 cup grapefruit sections.
4) Cheese Omelet: 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, 1-1/2 Oz Low fat Cheddar Cheese (grated), 1 grapefruit.
5) Eggs & Fruit: 2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, 1 Apple, 1 Orange.
6) Canadian Bacon & Fruit: 4 Oz Canadian bacon, 1-1/2 Apple.
7) Salsa & Eggs: 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, 1 tbsp Low fat Cheddar Cheese (grated), 3 tbsp Salsa, 1 Tomato (sliced), 1-1/2 Orange.
1) Tossed Tuna Salad: Romaine or Red leaf Lettuce 1/2 Head, 1 Apple (cored & cubed), 1/2 cup Mandarin Oranges (soaked in water and drained), Water packed tuna 6 Oz (drained), 1tbsp Chopped walnuts, 3 tbsp Low-fat Mayo, 2 tsp Soy Sauce, 1 tsp Lemon juice.
2) Egg Salad: 2 whole eggs + 4 whites (hard boiled), 1 green Onion (diced), Celery 2 tbsp (minced), Mayo low-fat 1-1/2 tbsp, Mustard 1 tsp, Salt & Pepper to taste, 1 Tomato, 1 Peach, 1 cup cherries or grapes.
3) Chef’s Salad: Lettuce 2-1/2 cups (torn), Deli Turkey 2 Oz, Deli Ham 1 Oz, Hard Boiled Egg 1, Swiss Cheese 1 Oz, Cherry Tomatoes 4, Cucumber 1/2 (sliced), Salad Dressing 2 tbsp (your choice), 1 Pear or Apple.
4) Chicken Caesar Salad: Romaine Lettuce 3 cups, Cooked Chicken Breast 4-6 Oz, Caesar Dressing 3 tbsp*, Parmesan Cheese 1 tbsp (grated), 1 Apple, 2/3 cup grapes.
5) Chicken Waldorf Salad: Cooked Chicken Breast 4-6 Oz, Celery 2 tbsp (diced), Grapes 1/3 cup (sliced), Apple (diced), Walnuts 2 tbsp (chopped), Mayo low-fat 2 tbsp, Lemon Juice 1/2 tsp, Romaine Lettuce, 3 leaves.
* Tasty Caesar Dressing:
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp anchovy paste
1 tsp Creamy Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
1) Mixed Veggie Salad: Romaine lettuce, 1 cup (3 medium leaves), shredded. Green peppers 1/4 cup, chopped. 2-3 stalks Celery, chopped. Cucumbers 1/4 cup, sliced. 1/4 cup Mushrooms, sliced. Hard-boiled eggs 2, sliced. Feta cheese 1 ounce. Dressing = your choice, 1-2 tablespoons.
2) Steak & Veggies: Steak (8 Oz) with veggies, salad & 1/4 avocado.
3) Salmon & Veggies: Salmon (6-8 Oz) grilled, poached or baked with veggies, salad & 1/4 avocado
1) Deli Meat Slices & Cole Slaw: Chicken or Turkey slices 3 Oz, Cole Slaw 4 Oz.
2) Deli Meat Roll-ups: Chicken or Turkey or Ham 1 Oz, Swiss cheese low-fat 1 Oz, Apple or Pear.
3 Tuna Salad & Apple: Tuna Salad 3 Oz, Apple 1 (sliced).
4 Apple and hard boiled egg: 1 each
Many “diets” fail because they demand too much, too soon from the participant.
For people new to this plan I offer a taper-in period that virtually eliminates the “shock” of altering your eating plan and lowering simple carbohydrate (sugar) intake. By doing things in moderation, adherence to better habits is much higher and your results are much more likely to become long-term.
The taper in:
The program is a 5-days on 2-days off schedule, the days off may be fitted in at your convenience but weekends are probably best.
In order for the transition to this P.E.P. to be smooth and relatively discomfort free, a lead-in period of gradual simple, “carb” reduction is suggested. This is a fairly simple process, as follows:
Week 1. Eating plan only on Tuesday & Thursday.
Week 2. Eating plan on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
Week 3. Eating plan every day except Wednesday.
Week 4. Eating plan Monday thru Friday.
This should see you make a smooth, pain free transition into the amazing world of fat burning.
During a 48 hr period on Saturday & Sunday basically eat what you feel like, try to keep it fairly healthy but succumb to your cravings (within reason) because Monday you get strict again.
PAU for NOW
Filed under: Nutrition | Tagged: Carbohydrates, Fat, fat loss, health, Nutrition, P.E.P., Personal Eating Plan, Protien, six pack, Taku, weight loss | Leave a comment »