As far as I am concerned nutrition is the foundation of health. After years as a trainer and coach, I have seen that people consistently struggle with dialing in their nutrition more than any other factor of health and fitness. With this in mind, I offer a few simple strategies that may help you get this often challenging aspect of your personal health and fitness routine, under control.
FIRST: The hard facts!
- There is no supplement to increase personal discipline!
- You can’t out work a bad eating plan!
- Quality Nutrition controls hormonal response (a calorie is not always calorie)
– Insulin – triggers fat storage (too much sugar)
– Glucagon – triggers fat burning (favoring protein dominant meals)
Don’t make excuses…
– “Everything in moderation”, is a set up for failure!
– Learn to eat High-Quality food year-round, (without gorging!)
– Take some responsibility for your actions!
Nutritional Strategies for long term success!
- Control Quality -1 week.
– First control Quality.
– This alone may help control frequency and quantity.
- Control Frequency -1 week.
– With controlled quality, frequency is easier to control.
– It also controls energy levels and insulin response.
- Control Quantity -1-week.
– By this time – the quantities of food are naturally smaller.
– More nutrient dense and thermic foods.
- Start eating more High-Quality foods. If it is in a box, bag, or can, and has a label don’t eat it. Strive for Free-Range Organic Meats. Raw, Organic, full-fat dairy. Chicken and eggs from Free-Range chickens. Local fresh fruits and vegetables (try the Farmer’s Market).
- You will burn calories breaking down whole foods – as much as 300 additional calories per day (i.e. the Thermic Effect of food).
- Processed foods should be avoided.
- Eat 3 & 2 (3 meals and 2 snacks every day). DO NOT SKIP MEALS.*
- *If ONLY CRAP is available – Use this as an unexpected time to fast.
- Remember, sometimes it’s okay to be hungry.
- You have to feed the person you want to be, not the person you are right now!
- By now – your stomach has shrunk a bit and you are eating less anyway!!
- When you’re full – stop eating.
- Eat slow to give your blood sugar time to go up a little and signal you that you are full; you’ll eat less.
- Feed your ideal bodyweight and add a 0. If you want to weigh 130 lbs. eat 1300 calories over 5-6 meals!!
- Don’t miss exercise sessions. You don’t miss emails, texts, phone calls, and FACEBOOK, don’t miss your exercise!
– Have healthy snacks ready everywhere!
- Keep non-perishable foods around, and carry a small cooler!
– Nuts & seeds (walnuts. Almonds, Brazil nuts)
– Hard-boiled eggs, String Cheese
– Apples, Celery stalks
- You’ll eat less!
– Have a healthy Protein Snack before you go food shopping!
– Have a healthy Protein Snack before you go to a party!
- Don’t buy junk food.
– If it does not belong in your stomach it does not belong in your House / kitchen!
Well…there you have it. some simple strategies to aid you on your personal quest for lifelong health and fitness. Remember, nutrition is the foundation of health. Take the ideas I have outlined above and put them into practice today!
PAU for NOW
Filed under: Coach's Corner, Nutrition | Tagged: Balanced Nutrition, Body Fat, fat burning, Healthy Diet, Macro-nutrients, Nutritional Strategies, Personal Eating Plan, Total Wellness | Leave a comment »